We currently have a vacancy for a Transport Shift Manager working days 06:00 – 18:00 at our Leeds site. The shift pattern for this role is 4 on 4 off, offering competitive salary, 20 days holiday and a company pension scheme. Uniform is also provided.
Reporting directly to the Transport Manager this role is responsible for managing the transport operation, ensuring customer requirements are met and company policies and procedures are followed. Supporting the Transport Manager in developing the site and company procedures and ensuring customer service levels remain high and site teams are managed effectively.
Responsible for the day to day management of the transport team ensuring they are managed in line with company policies and procedures.
- Responsibility for the day to day decisions and activities of the transport department, ensuring in house requirements are met and customer service levels are achieved
- Managing and supporting the Debrief Clerks, shunters and the drivers in their day to day roles
- Planning weekly workload and organising staff shifts to ensure all runs are covered in a cost effective and efficient manner.
- Leasing with Customer Services and the Planning Team relation to any potential service issues or operational needs
- Producing daily reports on equipment failures, VORs, on-going issues and service levels
- Working with the business to assist with planning and organising vehicle availability ensuring maxim vehicle utilisation
- Identifying training needs of individuals through performance and appraisal systems and using company policies and procedures and working with the Transport Manager in managing these.
- Responsible for ensuring the management of driver’s behaviour and performance and ensuring any action required is taken, in line with company policies and procedures
- Assisting the Transport Manager in planning of weekly workload and organisation of manpower to ensure that all runs are covered in a cost effective and efficient manner., including the management of any agency requirements
- Undertake regular vehicle license checks to ensure competent people drive LGV vehicles.
- Ensuring that all legal requirements are adhered to with regard to tacho collection, driver hours and transport legislation and that any offences are communicated to drivers and action taken if appropriate.
- Ensure all personnel adhere to SWP’s and Health and safety procedures relating to the Transport and Yard area.
- Responsible for ensuring the day today management of the site teams in line with company policies and procedures, ensuring return to work interviews are conducted, investigations completed, and disciplinary hearings managed with support from the Transport Manager.
- Monitoring physical fuel stocks and maintaining stocks
- Facilitate a shift hand-over at the start/end of each shift.
- Ensuring additional cover in peak periods, emergencies, training, holidays, sickness and absence is managed and full cover maintained
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE
- At Least 3 years’ experience within a distribution, logistics environment and of managing people
- CPC in National road Haulage, essential
- Have a working knowledge of Transport Legislation / WTD / Drivers hours.
- Good working knowledge of Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Excellent relationship building and customer facing skills
- Ability to listen to and follow instructions.
- Ability to work to deadlines.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure.
- A good accuracy level is essential.
- Good numeracy and literacy.