We currently have an exciting opportunity to join our team at our Castle Donington site as a Transport Manager. Reporting directly to the National Transport Manager, the role requires someone with significant gravitas, energy and excellent interpersonal skills to lead, develop and manage this function.
This role is responsible for the day to day management of the site, working to ensure that the operation achieves the targeted operational and financial performance whilst ensuring compliance with all relevant legislation.
The role works Monday to Friday, with some weekend working required as needed by the operation and we offer a competitive salary, 28 days holiday including Bank holidays and a company pension scheme.
- Responsible for the day to day decisions and activities of the department, ensuring in-house requirements and customer service levels are achieved
- For Leading and developing the transport team ensuring they always understand and adhere to company policies and procedures
- Understand and keep up to date with all relevant transport legislation to ensure Environmental, Health and Safety, Quality and legal standards are always fully met.
- Plan and Manage resources efficiently to ensure budgeted targets and KPIs are met.
- Identify, develop and adopt savings, initiatives and improvements to department.
- Communicate with other sites, stakeholders and customers to ensure efficient supply chain operations
- Planning and organising vehicle availability ensuring maxim vehicle utilisation
- Responsible for ensuring the management of driver’s behaviour and performance and ensuring any action required is taken, in line with company policies and procedures
- Planning of weekly workload and organisation of manpower to ensure that all runs are covered in a cost effective and efficient manner, including management of any agency requirements.
- Ensuring that all legal requirements are adhered to regarding tacho collection, driver hours and transport legislation and that any offences are communicated to drivers and action taken if appropriate.
- Ensure all personnel adhere to SWP’s and Health and safety procedures relating to the Transport and Yard area.
- Facilitate a smooth distribution process by close interaction / liaison with other internal depots
- Responsible for ensuring the day today management of the site teams in line with company policies and procedures, ensuring return to work interviews are conducted, investigations completed, and disciplinary hearings managed.
- Working with the HR department in recruitment for the site, ensuring staffing levels are maintained and any recruitment is done in line with legal requirements and company policy.
- Monitoring physical fuel stocks and maintaining stocks
- Facilitate a shift hand-over at the start/end of each shift.
- Ensuring additional cover in peak periods, emergencies, training, holidays, sickness and absence
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE
- At Least 5 years’ experience within a distribution, logistics environment and of managing people
- International CPC Holder.
- Good working knowledge of Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Strong Leadership and Communication skills
- Excellent relationship building and customer facing skills
- Ability to listen to and follow instructions.
- Ability to work to deadlines.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure.
- A good accuracy level is essential.
- Good numeracy and literacy.