We currently have a vacancy for a Senior Transport Shift Manager at our Castle Donington site. The role works Monday to Friday, we offer a competitive salary, 28 days holiday and a company pension scheme. Uniform is also provided.
This role is responsible for the day to day management of the operation, based on customers site. Working to ensure that the operation achieves the targeted operational and financial performance whilst ensuring compliance with all relevant legislation, in line with customer practices and site rules/regulations. The role will maintain the site KPIs and work with the Management team in Moran and customer to develop site and company procedures which allow the business to grow and develop alongside increasing customer requirements.
Responsible for managing and leading the site transport team ensuring company policies and procedures are adhered to and customer service levels are achieved.
- Responsible for the day to day decisions and activities of the department, ensuring in-house requirements and customer service levels are achieved.
- Responsible for managing customer relationship at all levels, along with producing daily, weekly, and monthly statistics on performance.
- Lead weekly and monthly performance reviews.
- Leading and developing the transport team ensuring they always understand and adhere to company and customer policies and procedures.
- Understand and keep up to date with all relevant transport legislation to ensure Environmental, Health and Safety, Quality and legal standards are always fully met.
- Plan and Manage resources efficiently to ensure budgeted targets and KPIs are met.
- Identify, develop, and adopt savings, initiatives, and improvements.
- Communicate with other sites, stakeholders, and customers to ensure efficient supply chain operations.
- Produce daily reports on equipment failures, VORs, on-going issues and service levels.
- Planning and organising vehicle availability ensuring maximised vehicle utilisation and profitability.
- Identify training needs of individuals through performance and appraisal systems and using company policies and procedures.
- Responsible for ensuring the management of driver’s behaviour and performance and ensuring any action required is taken, in line with company/customer policies and procedures.
- Planning of weekly workload and organisation of manpower to ensure that all routes are covered in a cost effective and efficient manner, including management of any agency requirements.
- Undertake regular vehicle license checks to ensure competent people drive LGV vehicles.
- Ensuring that all legal requirements are adhered to, including tacho collection, driver hours and transport legislation and that any offences are communicated to drivers and action taken if appropriate.
- Responsible for ensuring all personal/vehicle accidents are investigated in full and are reported to the National Transport Manager within the required timescales and actioned as per company policy and procedure.
- Ensure all vehicles and trailers are sent and collected from service and/or inspections, MOTs, defects and breakdowns within the required timescales and records are kept.
- Ensure all personnel adhere to SWP’s and Health and safety procedures relating to the Transport and Yard area.
- Facilitate a smooth distribution process by close interaction / liaison with other internal depots.
- Responsible for ensuring the day today management of the site teams in line with company policies and procedures, ensuring return to work interviews are conducted, investigations completed, and disciplinary hearings managed.
- Working with the HR department in recruitment, ensuring staffing levels are maintained and any recruitment is done in line with legal requirements and company policy.
- Working to recover any additional costs through recharges to customers, where appropriate.
- Assisting when required in random gate/fleet checks.
- Monitoring physical fuel stocks and maintaining stocks.
- Facilitate a shift hand-over at the start/end of each shift.
- Ensuring additional cover in peak periods, emergencies, training, holidays, sickness, and absence.
- Supporting management of remote outbase locations.
- Any other duties deemed reasonable and appropriate.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE:
- At Least 5 years’ experience within a distribution, logistics environment and of managing people
- CPC in National road Haulage desirable
- Good working knowledge of Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Strong Leadership and Communication skills
- Excellent relationship building and customer facing skills
- Ability to listen to and follow instructions.
- Ability to work to deadlines.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure.
- A good accuracy level is essential.
- Good numeracy and literacy.