We currently have a vacancy for a HGV Driver Development Trainer at our Leeds site, 5 out of 7 days, hours to be agreed by line manager and offering a competitive salary, 20 days holiday and a company pension scheme. Uniform is also provided.
Reporting directly to the Transport Manager.
The primary and overriding aim of a driver development trainer is to ensure that the business has safe and suitably competent drivers, who are inducted, operationally assessed and working in compliance with minimum operational standards.
The secondary aim is promote and deliver operational excellence through coaching and mentoring activities, allowing a structured development approach at site level. The cornerstone of this work, should be focused on safe and fuel efficient driving and accident preventability.
- Raise any none compliance issues to line manager, providing enough information to make informed decisions.
- Ensure own training qualifications are current and remain compliant, with business needs.
- Produce report from vehicle telematics, in order to target poor driver performance.
- Support disciplinary process and support health & safety review processes where required.
- Introduce SAFED driving principles and manage reports to reduce company fuel usage and improve driver performance.
- Produce weekly reports to detail actions in the week and focuses ahead of previous week.
- Attend management meetings when required.
- Leading a standardisation process and improvement agenda for all drivers.
- Overseeing the induction and training programmes for drivers within their scope.
- Creating, gaining sign off for and maintaining regular reviews for drivers within their scope.
- Supporting on:
RTC incident follow ups, SSOW Instruction creation, Driver recruitment, New equipment or policy roll out programmes,
Specifications for new equipment, Driver engagement programmes and providing ad hoc support within the transport office around legal compliance.
Health & Safety:
- To ensure you follow safe working practices.
- To promptly report all accidents and incidents to your line manager.
- To assist in accident investigations as necessary.
- To ensure that housekeeping standards are maintained.
- To adhere to relevant site rules, QEHS policies and procedures including quality procedures, HACCP, safe systems of work and environmental controls.
- To have good communication skills and ability to liaise verbally confidently with employees and Management of all levels.
- To listen carefully to instructions.
- To keep your Manager up to date with any work issues that may affect deadlines.
Flexibility and Ad-Hoc:
- To be flexible to work on a variety of duties and locations as required.
- To carry out any other task that is reasonable and within your skill set as business needs dictate.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE
- Excellent time management.
- Excellent communication and listening skills, with the ability to give clear instruction.
- Impartial and objective skills.
- Challenging nature with solid motivational skills.
- Sets and maintains high personal standards.
- Good understanding of customers needs.
- Understanding of vehicle design and brand specifications/capabilities.
- Good analytical, reporting and IT skills required.
- Ability to organise and manage own time, to stringent deadlines.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Willingness to undertake additional studies to support success within this role.
- Clean C+E and own driving licence.
- Up to date DCPC training and in-depth knowledge of Highway Code, EU and WTD regulations.
- Knowledge of vehicle engineering.
- Familiar with vehicle telematics and driver style reporting software.
- Smart and presentable at all times.
- Ability to embrace key business change and drive the business forward.
- Previous driver training experience.
- External training industry recognised qualifications.
- HGV assessor’s certificate.
- CPC holder
- RTITB Instructor
- DVSA ADI
- SAFED accredited.