We currently have an exciting opportunity to join our team at our Aylesbury depot as the Deputy Transport Manager. Reporting directly to the Transport Manager, the role requires someone with significant gravitas, energy and excellent interpersonal skills to lead, develop and manage this function.
This role is responsible for the day to day management of the site, working to ensure that the operation achieves the targeted operational and financial performance whilst ensuring compliance with all relevant legislation.
The role works Monday to Friday, with some weekend working required as needed by the operation and we offer a competitive salary, 28 days holiday and a company pension scheme.
- Assisting in the day to day decisions and activities of the department, ensuring in-house requirements and customer service levels are achieved
- For Leading and developing the transport team ensuring they understand and adhere to company policies and procedures at all times
- Identify, develop and adopt savings, initiatives and improvements to department.
- Communicate with other sites, stakeholders and customers to ensure efficient supply chain operations
- Responsible for ensuring the day to day management of the site teams in line with company policies and procedures, ensuring return to work interviews are conducted, investigations completed, and disciplinary hearings managed.
- Working with the HR department in recruitment for the site, ensuring staffing levels are maintained and any recruitment is done in line with legal requirements and company policy.
- Ensuring additional cover in peak periods, emergencies, training, holidays, sickness and absence
- Covering the Transport Managers responsibilities as and when needed in the absence of the Transport Manager
- Assisting in ensuring all transport legalities are kept in order with audit trials available.
- Responsibility for the day to day decisions and activities of the transport department, ensuring in house requirements are met and customer service levels are achieved
- Managing and supporting the Debrief Clerks, shunters and the drivers in their day to day roles
- Planning weekly workload and organising staff shifts to ensure all runs are covered in a cost effective and efficient manner.
- Leasing with Customer Services and the Planning Team relation to any potential service issues or operational needs
- Producing daily reports on equipment failures, VORs, on-going issues and service levels
- Updating the day to day DOTs reports for all customers, ensuring any time deadlines for the reports are met at all times
- Working with the business to assist with planning and organising vehicle availability ensuring maxim vehicle utilisation
- Identifying training needs of individuals through performance and appraisal systems and using company policies and procedures and working with the Transport Manager in managing these.
- Responsible for ensuring the management of driver’s behaviour and performance and ensuring any action required is taken, in line with company policies and procedures
- Assisting the Transport Manager in planning of weekly workload and organisation of manpower to ensure that all runs are covered in a cost effective and efficient manner., including the management of any agency requirements
- Undertake regular vehicle license checks to ensure competent people drive LGV vehicles.
- Ensuring that all legal requirements are adhered to with regard to tacho collection, driver hours and transport legislation and that any offences are communicated to drivers and action taken if appropriate.
- Ensure all personnel adhere to SWP’s and Health and safety procedures relating to the Transport and Yard area.
- Responsible for ensuring the day today management of the site teams in line with company policies and procedures, ensuring return to work interviews are conducted, investigations completed, and disciplinary hearings managed with support from the Transport Manager.
- Assisting when required in gate/fleet checks
- Monitoring physical fuel stocks and maintaining stocks
- Facilitate a shift hand-over at the start/end of each shift.
- Ensuring additional cover in peak periods, emergencies, training, holidays, sickness and absence is managed and full cover maintained
- Any other duties deemed reasonable and appropriate
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE
- At Least 5 years’ experience within a distribution, logistics environment and of managing people
- CPC in National road Haulage
- Good working knowledge of Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Strong Leadership and Communication skills
- Excellent relationship building and customer facing skills
- Ability to listen to and follow instructions.
- Ability to work to deadlines.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure
- A good accuracy level is essential.
- Good numeracy and literacy.